A document under which a landlord gives permission to a tenant to carry out work or alterations to a...


The government body that guarantees the title to and records the ownership of, and interests in registered land is England and...

Land Registry

The Land Registry is a government department which is responsible for recording the ownership of land and property in England and Wales.

Licensed Conveyancer

Licensed Conveyancers are qualified specialist property lawyers, regulated and licenced by the Council for Licensed Conveyancers (CLC) rather than the Law Society. They often work within a Solicitors' firm, but may be self-employed or employed by a CLC-regulated company. 

Legal Ombudsman (formerly Legal Services Ombudsman)

The Legal Ombudsman for England and Wales (formerly Legal Services Ombudsman, or LSO) gives consumers access to an independent expert to resolve complaints about Solicitors and other providers of legal services. The service is free and is open to all individuals.

Law Society of England and Wales

The Law Society of England and Wales is a professional body established by Royal charter which represents Solicitors. It works to promote and protect Solicitors and negotiates and lobbies the government, the profession’s regulatory bodies, and others. 


A Lender is an individual or a company that provides a loan to a borrower. In the mortgage market, the lender will pay for the majority of the property purchases after the borrower pays the mortgage deposit to secure the home. The borrower will repay the mortgage in regular instalments,...

Limited Liability

A Limited Liability agreement is where mortgage lenders can offer a guarantor mortgage, In the event that the mortgage borrower is unable to keep up with repayments, a guarantor will be liable to pay a certain percentage of the total mortgage loan. Usually, the guarantor will be a close relative of...

Land Registry Fee

The land registry charges fees for registering any dealing with property. They most often arise when a property is transferred into the name of the new owner, or is mortgaged.  Such fees are also payable on the first registration of a new lease, and on an application for first registration of...

Latest completion date

Many mortgage loans are only available for a specific period of time. These mortgages have to commence by what is known as the latest completion date. This is distinguished from the completion date, which is agreed between the buyer and the seller before the contracts are exchanged. The buyer may...