Three out of four young Brits want to buy their own home, but an incredible one in seven would consider buying with a complete stranger just to get on the housing ladder.
A study by banking giant HSBC as part of its annual Beyond the Bricks Report, looking at home-buying habits and attitudes around the world, asked 2,000 Brits aged 18 to 40 about their attitudes to home ownership.
While a substantial majority (75 percent) want to own their own home to live in, 9 percent said they’d rent out a room to help pay the mortgage while 25 percent want someone to split the bills with.
Those who would seek out a housemate to help with the monthly outgoings are particular in their requirements, according to the HSBC research.
For example, the perfect house mate or “homebae” should be odour free, clean and tidy, and ideally be a doctor earning more than £50,000. In an ideal world, they would not be a vegetarian or vegan but they would love a good BBC drama, be able to cook a cracking Sunday road and be a good listener.
Here are the top 30 requirements for the perfect housemate:
- Pays the bills on time – 80 percent
- Is clean and tidy – 70 percent
- Keeps the bathroom clean – 56 percent
- Does NOT have body odour – 51 percent
- Is open to compromise – 48 percent
- Is calm under pressure – 42 percent
- Can do DIY – 39 percent
- Has savings in the bank – 38 percent
- Loves pets – 37 percent
- Is fun loving – 36 percent
- Does not play loud music – 35 percent
- Has a good credit rating – 31 percent
- Is a good listener – 28 percent
- Keeps the fridge well stocked – 26 percent
- Is a meat–eater – 24 percent
- Does NOT talk too much about themselves – 23 percent
- Lets you borrow their things – 23 percent
- Will deal with all the household admin – 22 percent
- Lends you books and movies – 20 percent
- Loves a good BBC drama – 19 percent
- Has monthly savings targets – 19 percent
- Earns over 50k a year – 18 percent
- Cooks a cracking roast – 18 percent
- Does a “chemist run” when you’re ill – 17 percent
- Likes to be in bed by 11pm – 17 percent
- Has a Netflix account – 16 percent
- Has a family holiday home somewhere warm and sunny – 16 percent
- Does not snore – 16 percent
- Owns a car – 15 percent
- Is stylish – 13 percent