COVID-19: Read the latest on how we can support your conveyancing journey. Find out more

cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud

How do Structural Engineers Reports differ from Home Buyers Surveys?

There is a good degree of confusion about the services and reports offered by Structural Engineers.

A few years ago a RICS Building Survey was known as a Full Structural Survey which further blurred the distinction between the services offered by RICS surveyors and structural engineers.

Home buyers and owners often have questions about the differences between a structural engineers report, a full structural survey and a home buyers report.

Full structural surveys and Home Buyer Reports

Residential Chartered Surveyors offer more formatted reports for home buyers.

In essence, residential surveyors carry out a range of home buyer surveys including the RICS HomeBuyer Report, the RICS Condition Report, Building Surveys and Property Valuation Reports.  

The Building Survey (previously known as a ‘Full Structural Survey’) has recently become more prescriptive in its format since then introduction of a RICS template this year.  Some surveyors still use their own individual format.  The new RICS format has introduced a standard template not unlike the ‘HomeBuyer Report’.  Fridaysmove prefer the new format as it represents a harmonisation of reports styles.  This is not to say that the RICS format is superior and some members of our network continue to use their own tried and tested report formats.

Although surveys are mostly carried out to a standard format, depth and detail will vary between surveyors and the properties they survey.  Fridaysmove maintain strict quality control procedures to ensure that the highest possible service standards are met.

In addition surveyors may have certain specialisms such as party wall surveying, lease extension premium valuations and expert witness services.

Structural Surveyors offer more bespoke services

Structural surveyors on the other hand tend to offer more specialist services focused on specific structural concerns relating to a property.  Unlike a surveyor, they focus purely on the structural aspects of a property and do not tend to comment on the property’s decorative state or value.

These include services like structural inspections, reports for planning applications and building regulations.  A common example might be when ‘knocking through’ from one room to another.  IN this example it will be necessary to carry out the works in accordance with Building Regulations.

In order to be compliant, the Building Regulations may dictate the need to evidence the formal structural calculations as carried out by the structural engineer.

Representing an added cost of carrying out building works, this often frustrates.  However the need to ensure a building won’t collapse when making structural modifications is obviously paramount.

Other services might include loft extension structural reports, roof and foundations surveys, ground stability services.

Fridaysmove have a national network of local structural engineers who can assist with your residential or commercial project needs.

Getting a quote for structural engineer’s report

As structural engineer services tend to be bespoke we do not offer an online quote facility.  If you would like more information on our highly cost effective services, please call us on 033 0660 0286.

Back To Top