Electrical Installation Condition Report or ‘EICR’ is a full report on the mains wiring and associated systems in a residential or commercial property.
The report may also investigate other cabling and systems, such as low voltage lighting or a burglar/smoke alarm system, if they are connected or proximate to the mains wiring.
What does the EICR include?
The EICR is carried out by a qualified and registered electrician. During the survey of the residential or commercial premise, the electrician will look at the system as a whole and ensure it is both safe and that it meets the necessary requirements.
Additionally the electrician will look for any evidence of:
- damaged plug sockets
- any defect to the earthing of the circuits
- damaged switches
- damage RCD’s and fuse boards
- circuit overload or overheating
- the suitability and compliance of fuseboards and wiring
- the existence of RCD’s where mandated by regulations
Is it the same as a Periodic Inspection Report (PIR)?
The PIR was replaced by the new EICR in 2012.