What is “ The right to acquire” (England and Wales only) ?

If you are a secured or an assured tenant of a local housing company, a registered social landlord or a housing association, you may have the right to buy your home under a scheme called the ‘right to acquire’. The right to acquire only applies to a limited number of properties, for example, homes built with public funds on or after 1 April 1997. Please check with your conveyancing lawyer to check if you enjoy the benefit of a right to acquire.

For more information about the right to acquire,   If you are in Wales try contacting the Welsh Assembly on 0845 010 3300. In England you should contact your conveyancing lawyer, landlord or the Homes and Communities Agency who can be contacted by phoning 0300 1234 500 or by visiting  www.homesandcommunities.co.uk.