Do you need an EPC?

If you are selling, renting or building a property* then you are legally required to provide an EPC or 'Energy Performance Certificate'.

EPCs are conducted by qualified 'Domestic Energy Assessors' and they will need to visit the property to conduct a thorough assessment before producing the certificate.

EPCs must be supplied for both residential and non-residential buildings in the following circumstances:

If you are selling a property

It is the responsibility of the seller to supply an EPC to any potential buyer for which the seller is not permitted to charge the buyer.

If you are letting a property

If you are renting a property out in its entirety (i.e. you are not simply renting a spare room) then you are legally required to supply an EPC to the tenant at no charge.

If you are building a property

The developer must supply an EPC to the purchaser at no charge.

In all cases

  • the EPC MUST be commissioned before marketing commences
  • the EPC is to be completed using 'reasonable efforts' within 7 days of ordering
  • if the EPC has not been completed in 7 days an extension for 21 days is allowed
Note - By law you must produce the EPC 28 days after paying for it and it must be commissioned before any form of marketing commences. Adherence is policed by Trading Standards Officers who are empowered to ask marketing agents to produce evidence that the EPC has been commissioned.

EPC's are valid for 10 years.

*a building or property is defined as a building with a roof and walls. If its ‘indoor climate’ is controlled by energy use, it will need an EPC. Central heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation are examples of methods used to control this. In contrast, a standalone garage or a garden shed would likely not require an EPC.