The Southwark Local Land Charges Team has two overriding functions
1. To comply with the obligation to maintain a public register known as the Local Land Charges Register ( this dates back to the 1975 Local Land Charges Act )
2. To carry out Southwark conveyancing searches, responding to "Enquiries of Local Authorities". These are submitted by conveyancing solicitors and conveyancers as part of their work Conveyancing in Southwark.
A local land charge describes a burden imposed on land and/or property which must be complied with by the owners/occupiers of said land/property. Southwark Council has a statutory obligation to register these charges. The information is collected from a range of Southwark council departments so that requests for information can be given a full response.
Local Land Charges in Southwark include:
- Conditions imposed in planning decisions and consents
- Notices served under various Acts relating to, Building, Environment etc.
- Conservation areas in Southwark
- Listed Buildings in Southwark
- Tree preservation orders
- Various legal agreements
- Financial charges e.g. for work carried in default such as drainage repairs
- Local Enforcement notices
These Local charges and obligations are enforceable against purchasers of the land affected and can range from planning history to highway status and outstanding environmental health notices to building control notices or outstanding works. Maintenance of the Land Charges Register ensures that these are recorded. It is an important service to the conveyancing process .
For more information about Local Land Charges in Southwark or Conveyancing in Southwark please contract the Southwark Conveyancing Team at Fridays.
Get a quote for Southwark Conveyancing fees.